Howarth Park is located in Santa Rosa CA and covers over 54 acres of land. The park includes playgrounds, picnic areas, a duck pond, and hiking trails. And it is also home to the Santa Rosa Recreation and Parks Department headquarters.
The park was named after Walter Howarth, who served on the Santa Rosa City Council from 1910 to 1912. He was the namesake and founder of this park. Born in 1857, Howarth left school at a young age to start working. He saved up and eventually bought a piece of land, which he turned into a park that was open to the public. Eventually, he became a wealthy businessman who lived in the area and wanted to give something back to the community. He was very involved in the park’s development and even helped to design some of the features.
This attraction was originally part of a much larger parcel of land known as the Reinda Ranch. The Reinda Ranch is a horseback riding stable that offers guided trail rides through the beautiful park. They have a variety of horses that are well-trained and sure-footed, making for a safe and enjoyable experience for riders of all ages and abilities. The ranch is also home to a variety of farm animals, including pigs, chickens, goats, and rabbits, that kids can pet and feed.
In 1918, the ranch was divided and this park was created.
The Santa Rosa Recreation and Parks Department (SRRPD) provides recreational opportunities for all ages, maintains park facilities and landscapes, and offers a variety of classes and programs for the community.
Over the years, the park has undergone several changes and improvements. In the early 1960s, a portion of the park was set aside for the construction of Highway 12. In 1975, the park was expanded to include an additional 14 acres of land.
Today, this park is a popular destination for both locals and visitors alike. The park offers something for everyone, from picnicking and playgrounds to hiking and nature watching. Whether you’re looking for a place to take the kids or simply want to enjoy the outdoors, Howarth Park is definitely worth a visit.
The park is a beautiful spot in Santa Rosa CA that offers plenty of activities and amenities for visitors. You can find picnic areas, playgrounds, a disc golf course, and plenty of open space to enjoy a walk or run. The park is also home to the Howarth Park Zoo, which features animals from all over the world. When using the picnic areas:
- Picnic areas are first come, first serve, so be sure to arrive early to get a good spot!
- There are several picnic areas throughout the park, so be sure to check the map beforehand to find the best one for your group.
- Each picnic area has a designated grilling area – be sure to use this so you don’t start a fire!
- Be sure to clean up after yourself when you’re done – this helps keep the park clean and beautiful for everyone to enjoy.
On the other hand, the disc golf course is also one of the most popular activities in the park. Here are a few things to remember when using the course:
1. Make sure to check the course map online before you head out to make sure you know where each hole is.
2. Be aware of other people playing – give them room to throw and be respectful of their game.
3. Don’t forget to bring your own discs – you can usually find some for sale at the park office, but it’s always best to have your own.
4. There are a few water hazards on the course, so be prepared to get wet if you end up in one!
5. Have fun! Disc golf is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise.
And when visiting the park’s zoo, it is important to remember a few things:
- The zoo is open year-round from 10am to 4pm.
- Admission is free but donations are encouraged.
- The zoo is home to a variety of animals, including bears, wolves, deer, and turtles.
- The zoo also has a playground, picnic area, and gift shop.
- Visitors are encouraged to bring their own food and drinks to the zoo.
- Please be sure to clean up after yourself and your pet during your visit.
The park is open daily from sunrise to sunset. There is no admission fee to enter the park, but there are fees for some activities such as playing golf or renting a pavilion. For more information on fees and hours, please visit the park’s official website.